Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ashtray

In case anyone was wondering how it feels to mime smoking in an attempt to buy an ashtray in a foreign country, the answer is ridiculous. Jake and I are hosting a Mad Men theme party on the 16th of this month and that means cocktails, cigarettes, unhealthy finger foods, and more cocktails! We are having an absolute blast putting this thing together. Yesterday we went to Ikea to buy a bunch of martini glasses and pitchers and today I set out on a really long walk to find a few simple ashtrays. Apparently, ashtrays are hard to come by these days. I went into a cigarette store and first pretended to smoke and flick ashes into an invisible receptacle. The guys thought I wanted mini cigars. Then I said the Italian word for bowl and mimed smoking again. This time it got through but the dang store did not even sell them! Every time I have one of these absurd acting experiences (think describing a potato masher....) I vow to never again venture out unprepared and yet it keeps happening....

2 comments:

  1. Look for a couple of impoverished potters . . . they can probably provide you with bowls of varying sizes and if you give them time, they can throw something with rim slits for holding the cigs. I guess you'll just have to make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of you imitating anything with cigarettes is pretty funny, adorable really. You must take lots of pictures of this event!

    ReplyDelete